Published: 11 Dec 2017

On Boxing Day close to 2,500 people will cease to be entitled to weekly benefits. Most if not all will receive their last payment in early December 2017.

If you have received a letter saying your benefits will be cut off, or referring to section 39 SEE A LAWYER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Contact Taylor and Scott on 1800 651 671 for assistance.

Contact Centrelink to discuss your options. You may be eligible to apply for either NewStart or Disability Support pension through Centrelink. Make sure you see Centrelink as soon as possible to get all the information you need prior to the 26 December so that you can lodge any applications immediately.

Workers Compensation Agencies

icare can refer a community partner who will assist in taking you to Centrelink and helping to fill out forms; put you in contact with financial institutions and counselling and link you to local support groups. This service is free and your case manager will not be given details of your interaction with the community group.

Call icare on 13 47 15 to access the referral service and for more information.

SIRA has created a “support and information service” where they will answer specific questions about your claim, provide guided support to assist with the transition to Centrelink and help connect you with community groups.

Call SIRA on 13 10 50 or email at

WIRO will also be available over the Christmas period if you have any questions about your entitlements or your workers compensation claim generally. Call WIRO on 13 9416

Mental Health Services

If you or a family member is suffering trauma or distress as a result of these changes we recommend speaking to your local GP for medical assistance. The following agencies provide some mental health services:

Beyond Blue: 1300 224 636

They also offer an online chat resource if you do not want to speak directly to a person. Visit

Lifeline: 13 11 14 or visit

Mental health line: a 24 hour service run by NSW Health. Call 1800 011 511

If it is an emergency please call 000 or go to your local hospital emergency department for urgent assistance.